Monday, October 13, 2014

Late Start. Also, Paleo Chili Casserole

I was absolutely determined to exercise this morning before my daughter woke but I stayed up too late last night writing my blog. I woke to my alarm at 6:20am, but my daughter had crawled in bed with us sometime before 4am and she woke with the alarm clock. I soothed her and played asleep so that she would resume her slumber but, in the process, I slipped back into unconsciousness and was insensible until about 8:30 this morning.

 So... I'm having a hard time with the number of petit mal seizures that I am getting, today. Did I tell you that I am epileptic? Well I am. That's ok. I have the entire rest of the day to fit some exercise in. I have already been more productive lately than in recent weeks and I am counting on this new-found motivation to take me through until such a time as I can get some exercise done. Probably yoga before bed in addition to the walk that I plan to get assorted sundries. That means that I have to get all my biggest chores done today, with my daughter. Any ideas on how I get my 3-year-old to help with chores?

Or how I can make exercise the escape I seek instead of the chore it is, currently?

Before the extra toppings

I made chili casserole this morning. It is 100% Paleo, I guarantee it. My toddler loves it, too. The recipe approximately is:


Paleo Chili Casserole

  • 1-2 lbs beef
  • 1 large sweet onion, roughly chopped
  • 1 head (not clove) garlic, roughly chopped
  • 1 mid-sized handful of chili powder
  • salt and pepper to taste
  • red pepper flakes (optional)
  • 1 (15 oz) can of tomato sauce
  • 1 (15 oz) can of diced tomatoes, drained
  • 1 sweet potato (white), not yam (orange)
  • 2 Tbsp., approx., dried chives
  • high-heat or solid baking oil of choice- coconut, lard, etc.  
  • 1 giant summer squash or 2-3 medium summer squash
  • One can of pitted olives, drained
  • Avocado, diced sweet peppers, salsa, sriracha, etc.

Casserole cooks in an oven at 350 degrees. Grease large casserole pan, preferably glass.

Brown beef in large skillet over med. heat. Once browned, toss in onions and garlic, stir, then add chili powder, salt, pepper, and red pepper flakes. Saute until onions are clear. Then, add tomato sauce and drained tomatoes. Mix thoroughly, then reduce a little bit to thicken. cover and put on med-low heat.

Dice up your sweet potatoes into 1/2 inch cubes. I wouldn't be so precise, but it helps with the cook times if they're this small or smaller. In medium-small skillet, add about 1.5 Tbsp of your oil, fat, etc. Saute sweet potatoes for about 5 minutes, add the dried chives, then saute 5 minutes more.

Slice summer squash in 1/4 in. rounds. Take your pretty little circles and lay a layer in the bottom of the greased pan, kind of like round lasagna noodles. Layer half of your meat/tomato mixture on top of the squash. Add another layer of squash, then meat, again. Now that you have two layers of squash and meat, spread the potatoes over the top. "Arrange" your entire can of olives on top. Press potatoes and olives gently into the juicy warmth of the meat mixture. Cover with foil (or not) and bake at 350 degrees for an hour.

Be careful removing foil because the steam will be hot!

Scoop into bowls, add sweet peppers, avocado, salsa, sriracha, or whatever else you feel, and dig in with (emotional) relish!

Remember: I'm all about creativity and winging it, so make what substitutions you like. Have fun with it!

This is what my daughter thinks of the casserole:


See her sneaky little fingers?

 And when we went to the pumpkin patch with Grammy?




No comments:

Post a Comment